The ECB has made a substantial change to its eligibility criteria to pave the way for Jofra Archer to play for England at next summer’s Cricket World Cup.
The governing body held a board meeting on Thursday where the decision to reduce the number of years required to for residency from seven to three years was approved.
The announcement shaves four years off the Sussex Sharks star’s wait to represent England, with the Barbados-born all-rounder now available for the World Cup under the new rules.
Archer had represented the West Indies through to Under-19 level, but the 23-year-old made the move to county cricket shortly after missing out on the squad for the World Cup at the age level.
His career has since been elevated to the heights of the Big Bash League to star for the Hobart Hurricanes, where his form led to him striking a $1m deal in the IPL with Rajasthan Royals.
The West Indies Cricket Board revealed earlier this year they remained intent of bringing Archer back into the international fold.
WICB chief executive Johnny Graves said in February:
“As a cricketer you always want to play at the highest level and, for the moment at least, the highest level by a considerable distance, is international cricket.
“In which case, you would hope that he says, ‘I’ve done it against domestic competition and now I want to test myself at international level’.
“Jofra’s only opportunity to play in the 2019 World Cup in England, will be with the West Indies. His only opportunity to play in the T20 World Cup in Australia in 2020 is with the West Indies, too.”
Been keeping a keen eye on Jofra Archer whilst playing for Sussex (tipped by Will Davis)
Playing BBL now, this kid is gana be special! ????????????
— Dale Steyn (@DaleSteyn62) December 21, 2017
Jofra Archer is one of the sport’s most exciting talents – to get your fill of excitement head to https://www.esports.net/.
Tagged Jofra Archer